For some reason I had apples on the brain this weekend. So, I decided to embrace my craving, commemorate my second Sweet of the Week installment and make two dishes. I am pleased to say that I executed both apple based recipes in a remarkably short amount of time–mostly because of my #1 food rule: if the creation of a single ingredient deters me from making a recipe then I buy the ready-made version. This week’s example: ready-made pie crust. Shhh…no one will know.
Recipe #1: Applesauce (courtesy of the Pioneer Woman)
Check out the link above for the Pioneer Woman’s apple sauce recipe, it turned out delicious and served as a yummy accompaniment to grilled pork loin on Sunday night. (I opted for apple cider rather than apple juice for my liquid ingredient choice and it was perfect).
Recipe #2: Smitten Mitten Apple Pie
Ingredients: brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, flour, apples, lemon juice and a ready-made pie crust
Prep your apples by first coring/cutting them into eight chunks and then slicing each chunk into 3-4 smaller slices.
Mix your apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, flour, nutmeg and brown sugar together.
Unroll your pie crust and add your apples, leaving a 2 inch border.
Fold your pie crust over your filling and back for 35 to 40 minutes (until crust is golden). Cool, slice and serve warm with vanilla ice cream
- 1 ready-made, rolled pie crust (refrigerator section of your grocery store)
- 2 large apples of different varieties or 3 medium apples (I usually use a jonagold and a jazz)
- juice from ½ a lemon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 TB butter (cut into 4 pieces)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove one rolled pie crust from the box and allow it to come to room temperature while you prep the filling (leave it in the bag until you are ready to unroll it).
- Peel both apples.
- Use a combination apple corer/slicer to cut your peeled apples into eight chunks.
- Cut each chunk into 3-4 smaller slices.
- Add all slices to a mixing bowl along with the lemon juice, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Unroll your pie crust onto a cookie sheet.
- Pour your filling into the center of the crust, creating a mound and leaving a 2 inch border around the entire pie.
- Fold the border over the filling and nestle your butter pieces into your apple filling.