Anyone else love Max and Erma’s Chicken Tortilla soup? It was a favorite of ours, but unfortunately our location closed a few years ago, leaving us high and dry when craving their Tortilla Burger. Last night I decided to recreate it (as best I could in 30 minutes) and I am happy to say that I am pleased with the results. Plus it earned the hubby seal of approval, so it was a definite win.
I purposely made a smallish batch because we only needed enough to dip our burgers, but since there were just three of us for dinner last night I had enough left over to enjoy a bowl of soup with my Watermelon & Tomato Salad today for lunch. If I were going to serve the tortilla soup on it’s own for 4 – 6 people I would most likely double this recipe. Hope you enjoy!
P.S. To the salad I added mint instead of dill and used white balsamic vinegar this time, yum!
- 4 - 6 burger patties & buns
- 1 yellow, red or orange bell pepper
- 4 - 6 onion slices
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 can of Healthy Request Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 cans of chicken (5 oz each)
- ½ tsp of kosher salt
- ½ tsp of red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¼ cup picante sauce
- ⅛ cup salsa verde
- ½ cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- While your grill is preheating, add the cream of chicken soup, canned chicken, salt, red pepper flakes, picante sauce, salsa verde and chicken broth to a medium sauce pan. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once the soup boils, reduce heat to low (stirring occasionally) and simmer (covered) while you grill the burgers and prepare your sides.
- Cut the bell pepper into 4 - 6 chunks and the onion into 4 - 6 slices (depending on the number of burgers you're serving.)
- Coat the cut up pepper and sliced onion with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Once your grill is preheated, add your burgers, bell pepper and onion, flipping after about 5 minutes.
- Remove your burgers, onions and bell pepper from the grill and toast the interior of the burger buns for a minute or so.
- Stack each bun with a burger, bell pepper chunk and onion slice.
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir in your shredded cheese until it melts. Scoop the soup into small side bowls and present on the plate next to the burger.
- Dress your burgers with mustard, mayo, relish, etc. and enjoy!